Message from the County Administrator
This message is a monthly update in 2017 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government Offices will be closed Monday, July 3 & Tuesday, July 4 in observance of the Independence Day holiday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, July 5.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its only meeting this month at 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 11 in the Board Room of the County Administration Building. A worksession will precede the meeting at 6 p.m. The tentative agenda topics are: (1) Presentation by Prince George School Board on discussions from the Core Committee on Education Facilities; and (2) Utility revisions related to residential growth in the planning area.
Prince George County will celebrate its 314th birthday with a ‘Founder’s Day Celebration’ from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, July 15 at the Old Courthouse Lawn.
Prince George County students will be attending 4-H Camp July 3-7 at the Airfield Center in Wakefield.
Fort Lee will host an Independence Day celebration from 5-10 p.m. at Williams Stadium.
Fort Lee will celebrate its 100th anniversary July 9-10. A relay race will be held throughout the district beginning at 5 a.m. Sunday, January 9; Centennial Day will be held at 10 a.m. Monday, January 10 at Williams Stadium; and Centennial Documentary Premiere from 1-3 p.m. at The Lee Theater.
The Prince George Citizens Academy will have its next meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday, July 13 at the Prince George Courthouse.
The Prince George Farmers Market will continue every Saturday this month at Scott Park from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at Scott Park. A ‘Warrior Boot Camp’ will be held adjacent to the Farmers Market beginning July 1, 15 & 29 from 8:30 – 9:30 a.m.
The Prince George School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, January 10 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The Prince George Extension Leadership Council (ELC) will meet at 12:00 Noon at the Prince George Library.
Fort Lee will host an exhibit “Battle Ready: The Quartermaster in World War I” on July 12 during business hours at the US Army Quartermaster Museum.
Parks & Recreation will host its outside Movie Night at 8:30 p.m. Friday, July 14 at Scott Park.
The Recreation Advisory Committee will meet at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, July 12 at the Parks & Recreation Community Center on Old Stage Road.
The Harbor Blast Concert Series will continue on July 22 at the Appomattox Boat Harbor. Gates open at 5 p.m.
The Riverside Criminal Justice Advisory Board will meet at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 12 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
An ‘Alzheimer’s & Dementia’ Education series will continue from 6-7 p.m. Monday, July 19 at Sunflower Gardens.
The Appomattox River Water & South Central Wastewater authorities will meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, July 20 at the Lake Chesdin offices.
The Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) will meet from 4-5 p.m. Thursday, July 20 in the Prince George Library.
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 20 in the Board Room.
Parks & Recreation will host the ‘Punt, Pass & Kick’ competition at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 20 at Prince George High School Football field.
The Crater Youth Care Commission will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, July 21 at the Commission offices.
The Petersburg Area Regional Tourism (PART) Committee will meet at 11 a.m. Friday, July 21 in the Crater Planning District offices in Petersburg.
Prince George Promise will host its Annual Meeting at 2 p.m. Friday, July 21 at the Prince George Library.
Riverside Regional Jail will hold its next meeting at 2 p.m. Thursday, July 27 in the Jail’s administrative offices. A Finance Committee meeting will precede the regular meeting at 1 p.m.
The Prince George Police Department will host a ‘Bike Rodeo’ from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, July 22 at the Bexley Mobile Home Park.
The Prince George Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, July 27 in the Board Room.
Prince George TRIAD will meet at 1 p.m. Monday, July 24 at the Prince George Library.
Five Prince George Parks & Recreation softball/baseball teams will be participating in the Dixie & Babe Ruth state tournaments this month.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening
within County government during the month of July:
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will receive three reports: (1) VDOT; (2) Sussex County Landfill; and (3) Condition of the HVAC System in the Human Services Building.
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will consider awarding a contract for repairs to the Pump Station on South Crater Road.
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will consider vehicle purchases.
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will consider replacement of the Fuel Filling Station Canopy.
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will discuss a formal process for renewing a Franchise Agreement with Comcast.
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will discuss the Administration’s Six Month Work Plan.
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will discuss giving Staff authority to advertise a public hearing for recovery for responding to false alarms.
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will consider a budget transfer of $447,307.16 for construction of the new Fire station on Route 10.
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will consider changes to the Position Control Chart.
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will discuss a shared water agreement with the City of Petersburg to serve a 200-acre site off Rives Road.
• The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting will consider a public hearing on tax relief for surviving spouses of those killed under the guidelines of the Line of Duty Act.
• Various Parks & Recreation summer activities are underway and registration is being accepted for fall programs. Registration can be accepted at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
• The search will continue this month to fill three key positions within County Government: Director of Utilities; Director of General Services; and Building Official.
• The new Fitness Room is open at the Central Wellness Center from 5-8 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Additional hours are being considered by Parks & Recreation Staff. Cost of membership is $5 per month or $50 for 12 months.
• Construction projects to advance this month include: Extension of water lines for Pine Ridge Mobile Home Park; Luca Restaurant;
Star Express; and Love’s Travel Center.
Star Express; and Love’s Travel Center.
• Construction will begin soon on an expanded parking lot at the Parks & Recreation Community Center.
• Planning continues for National Night Out Activities on Tuesday, August 31. As many as 36 sites could host events.
Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.