Catchin' Up On
Prince George County Government News
Prince George County, VA February 14, 2020
Upcoming Meetings & Events
Registration underway for Prince George 4-H Camp - until full (Camp dates: June 29 - July 3, 2020). Contact the PG Extension Office, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, or 804-733-2686, 8:30am - 5:00pm, Monday-Friday.
Feb. 14 – 17 - 23rd Annual Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC), sponsored by the National Audubon Society & Cornell Lab of Ornithology. *Count birds at any location for 15 minutes and report to www.gbbc.birdcount.org.
Burn Ban Law In Effect February 15 - April 30 (no burning before 4pm applies to campfires & brush burning). Contact the Virginia Department of Forestry for more information.
Sat., Feb. 15 - E-Sports Tournament (competition 8 yrs and up, $15 fee registration), at the Central Wellness Center, 11033 Prince George Drive, Disputanta, from 12:00pm to 6:00pm.
Mon., Feb. 17 - President's Day - Prince George County Government Offices CLOSED.
Thurs., Feb. 20 - A Conversation on Rural Broadband with Rep. McEachin and Rep. Spanberger at the Prince George County Central Wellness Center, 11023 Prince George Drive, Disputanta, at 2:00pm.
Thurs., Feb. 20 - James River Soil & Water Conservation District Agriculture Committee & Board of Directors Meetings, at the Prince George Library Large Meeting Room, 6605 Courts Drive, at 5:45pm & 6:00pm respectively.
Thurs., Feb. 20 - Prince George County School Board Meeting: Budget - Public Hearing, at the PG School Board Office, 6410 Administration Drive, Prince George, beginning at 6:00pm.
County Government Offices Closed Monday for President's Day
County Government Offices will be closed Monday, February 17 in observance of President's Day. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, February 18.
Important Things to Know
- Update- Missing Prince George County Juvenile Located. Details.
- Prince George Police assisting State Police with car shootings at Exit 45. Details.
- Congressional Hearing on Rural Broadband canceled; Congressman McEachin instead to host roundtable discussion on February 20. Details.
- Burn Ban in effect February 15 - April 30. Details.
- Prince George Police investigating shooting where victim wound up at Station 7. Details.
- Legislative Report #7. Details.
- Former Prince George Hoops Star Ariel Stephenson Takes Win Over VCU In Homecoming. Details.
- February 11 BOS Meeting Recap. Details.
- Remains in death investigation identified as Prince George man. Details.
- Riverside Regional Jail Authority accepts Superintendent’s resignation at its meeting Thursday; Lt. Col. Harold Reid named interim. Details.
- Public comment period open for permit request for Recyc Systems, Inc. for land application in Prince George County.
- VDOT to partner with County Government to promote ‘Clean Community Day’ activities in April.
- What's showing at the movies in Prince George County? Details.
- Latest Prince George County Gasoline Prices. Details.
- How to report pesky potholes. Details.
- Employment opportunities with Prince George County. Details.
- Prince George County unemployment rate dips to 2.9 percent for December.
- Prince George County employees raise $11,000 for Special Olympics at last weekend’s Polar Plunge.
- Prince George 4-H Camp registration is now underway; download at https://prince-george.ext.vt.edu/.
Quote of the Week
"Be passionate. Be courageous. Be your best. "
~ Gabrielle Giffords
On this Date
270 A.D. - St. Valentine is beheaded.
1794 - First US textile machinery patent granted to James Davenport in Philadelphia.
1849 - James Polk becomes the first serving US President to have his photograph taken.
1855 - Texas is linked by telegraph to the rest of the United States.
1859 - Oregon admitted as the 33rd state of the Union.
1870 - Esther Morris appointed first female Justice of the Peace in South Pass City, Wyoming.
1870 - Seraph Young becomes the first woman to legally vote in the United States.
1884 - Theodore Roosevelt's wife and mother pass away.
1899 - US Congress begins using voting machines.
1912 - Arizona was admitted to the Union as the 48th state.
1919 - United Parcel Service (UPS) forms.
1920 - League of Women Voters forms in Chicago.
1929 - The St. Valentine's Day Massacre happened in Chicago.
1971 - Movie 'Ben Hur' first shown on television.
2018 - Teen gunman kills 17, injures 17 at Parkland, Florida high school.
Percy C. Ashcraft, County Administrator | Prince George County, VA | (804) 722-8600