Applying for Assistance
To apply for assistance, go to https://Commonhelp.virginia.gov. You can also apply for Health Care, commonly known as Medicaid, by calling the Cover Virginia Call Center at 1-855-242-8282. An application may be obtained at our office during regular business hours or we will mail one to you the same day you request it. Please call (804)733-2650 for assistance.
General Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for most programs, applicants must:
- Live in Virginia;
- Be a U.S. citizen or meet certain requirements if you are an immigrant;
- Apply at the agency that serves the city or county where you live;
- Meet specific requirements of each program for which you are applying.
Certain program require an interview.
Depending on the program, eligibility and the amount of benefits will be based on:
- Your income;
- The number of people in the unit;
- Your resources; and
- Certain household expenses.
You will be notified in writing as soon as a decision about your application has been made. This notice will tell you if you are eligible, and what your benefits will be if you are eligible.
If you are applying for the financial or medical assistance, you must apply for any other benefit that you may be entitled to receive, such as Social Security, Worker's Compensation, unemployment compensation, Veteran's Benefits, or retirement pensions.
Action must generally be taken on applications within:
- 45 days of application for medical assistance;
- 30 days of application to TANF;
- 30 days normal processing for food stamps assistance (SNAP) and 7 days for expedited applications.
In accordance with the Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability.
To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW , Washington, DC 20250-9410, by fax (202)690-7442, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.