Message from the County Administrator
This message is a monthly update in 2016 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government offices will be closed Monday, September 5 in observance of the Labor Day holiday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, September 6.
Prince George County public schools will open Tuesday, September 6 at all locations.
Prince George County Public Safety officials will be honored with a Patriot Day breakfast from 6-9 a.m. Monday, September 12 in the Employee Break Room.
The Prince George County Board of Equalization will meet at 1 p.m. Tuesday, September 20 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The first ‘Pork Butt Festival’ will be held from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday, September 24 at Temple Park.
Prince George County Government will host a ‘Community Health Fair’ from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, September 17 in the parking lot of the Administration Building.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its only monthly meetings this month at 7 p.m. Tuesday, September 13 and September 27 in the Board Room of the County Administration Building. A worksession will precede the September 13 meeting at 6 p.m. The tentative agenda is: (1) Discussion of Solar Panel project; (2) Review of 2016 General Assembly actions; (3) Discussion of new design specifications for a Fire & EMS Burn Building; and (4) Consideration of BOS retreat in October.
Chairman Bill Robertson & Vice Chairman Jerry Skalsky will attend the Virginia Association of Counties (VACo) Region 1 meeting at 6 p.m. Wednesday, September 14 at Northampton County.
The Prince George Business Roundtable Alumni Dinner will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday, September 28 at the Petersburg Country Club.
Prince George County Government BOS members & Staff will join other representatives from the Appomattox River Water Authority for the mediation of a dispute involving the construction of water treatment plant at Brander’s Bridge. Mediation will begin at 9:30 a.m. on September 2 at the Hilton Garden Hotel in Colonial Heights.
Prince George County Special Olympics will host its annual picnic at 11 a.m. Saturday, September 3 at Temple Park.
The Prince George Senior Citizens Academy will begin its first session at 2 p.m. Tuesday, September 6 in the Police Department.
The Prince George Citizens Academy will meet from 6-9 p.m. Thursday, September 8 at the Parks & Recreation Community Center; and September 22 at the Riverside Regional Jail.
The Prince George Farmers Market will be open this month on September 10, 17 & 24 from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at Scott Park.
Prince George Self Storage will host its ‘Community Day’ from 2-4 p.m. Saturday, September 10 at its location at 4001 Commerce Road.
The Parks & Recreation Department will host its final Summer Concert at 6 p.m. Saturday, September 10 at the Moore Recreational Complex featuring the band B2B.
Virginia’s Gateway Region will host ‘Global 3.0 – A Regional Prosperity Strategy’ at 7:30 a.m. Monday, September 12 at Virginia State University Gateway Center.
The Prince George County School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, September 12 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The Recreation Advisory Committee will meet at 4 p.m. Wednesday, September 14 at the Parks & Recreation Community Center.
The United Way of Hopewell-Prince George will hold its Campaign Kickoff at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, September 15 at the John Randolph Foundation in Hopewell.
The Appomattox River Water & South Central Wastewater authorities will meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, September 15 at the Petersburg offices.
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, September 15 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The James River Soil & Water Conservation District will hold its annual ‘Farmer’s Cookout’ at 6 p.m. Thursday, September 15 at Scott Park.
The Petersburg Area Regional Tourism (PART) Board of Directors will meet at 11 a.m. Friday, September 16 at Pamplin Park.
The Prince George Promise Board of Directors will meet at 2 p.m. Friday, September 16 in the Prince George Library.
The ‘Harbor Blast’ Concert Series will continue September 17 & 24 at the Appomattox Boat Harbor. Gates open at 5 p.m. for each concert.
A Special Olympics Motorcycle Ride will be held from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, September 17 at the Disputanta Community Center.
A Media Luncheon with the County Administrator will be held at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, September 21 in the County Administration Conference Room.
The Heritage Museum will host The ‘Great Beefsteak Raid’ Dinner from 4-7 p.m. Wednesday, September 21 at Scott Park.
The Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) will meet at 4 p.m. Thursday, September 22 in the Emergency Operations Center.
The Riverside Regional Jail Finance Committee and Board of Directors will meet beginning at 12:00 Noon Thursday, September 22 in the Jail administrative offices.
The Prince George Planning Commission will meet at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, September 22 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
Prince George TRIAD will meet at 1 p.m. Monday, September 26 in the Prince George Library.
The Crater Workforce Investment Board will meet at 11:30 a.m. Friday, September 30 with the location to be determined.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of September:
- The Board of Supervisors at its September 13 meeting will receive five reports: (1) VDOT Monthly Update; (2) County Health Fair; (3) National Night Out; (4) Parks & Recreation Update; and (5) Quarterly Financial Report.
- The Board of Supervisors at its September 13 meeting will discuss a maintenance agreement for the Courthouse Energy Savings project.
- The Board of Supervisors at its September 13 meeting will discuss Parks & Recreation CIP projects.
- The Board of Supervisors at its September 13 meeting will discuss two stormwater projects at Route 156 and Prince George Drive and Lawyers Road.
- The Board of Supervisors at its September 13 meeting will discuss a contract with Sussex County for Building Official Services.
- The Board of Supervisors at its September 13 meeting will discuss the ‘Smart Scale’ Transportation project.
- The Board of Supervisors at its September 13 meeting will discuss a right-in, right-out request from Lake Harley, LLC.
- The Board of Supervisors at its September 27 meeting will receive two reports: (1) Back to School Fair; and (2) Continuity of Operations Plan.
- The Board of Supervisors at its September 27 will consider a purchase order for providing engineering services for the South Crater Road Sewer Pumping Station Rehabilitation Project.
- The Board of Supervisors at its September 27 will consider the approval of a bid for a Canoe Launch at Appomattox River Regional Park.
- Various Parks & Recreation summer activities are underway and registration is being accepted for various fall/winter programs. Registration can be accepted at http://www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
- Advertising for an architect to design the new Route 10 fire station is now underway.
- Advertising for an architect to design a new court room and office space in the basement of the County Courthouse is now underway.
- A Request for Proposals to provide a County-wide recycling plan is now underway.
- Sewer line repairs on Baxter Road are expected to be completed by the end of the month.
- Discussions are underway to plan construction of a new ball field and playground area near the new Carson Volunteer Fire Station.
- Renovations of the Old Library at the Central Wellness Center are underway in preparation for a new fitness center. Estimated opening date is early 2017.
- An architect is working with the Heritage Museum officials to design a Fire & EMS Museum concept at the former Food Bank Building.
- Preliminary work will begin this month in the design of a new Public Safety Radio System.
- The Police Department, Fire & EMS Department & Sheriff’s Office are partnering to establish a Public Safety Foundation to receive charitable contributions.
Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.