Message from the County Administrator
This message is a monthly update in 2017 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government Offices will be closed Monday, October 9 in observance of the Columbus Day holiday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, October 10.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its meetings this month at 7 p.m. Tuesday, October 10 and October 24 in the Board Room of the County Administration Building. A worksession will precede the October 10 meeting at 6 p.m. The tentative agenda topics are:
(1) Discussion of EMS staffing; (2) Demonstration on online billing for Utilities; and (3) Property maintenance issue on Union Branch Road.
The Czech-Slovak Festival will be held from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday, October 21 on the grounds of the Prince George Heritage Center.
Groundbreaking for the new Fire & EMS station on Route 10/Moody Road will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, October 12 at the site.
A dedication for the ‘Gardens at Exit 45’ will be held at 11:30 a.m. Monday, October 16.
‘Trick or Treat’ will be observed from 5-9 p.m. Tuesday, October 31 throughout Prince George County. Small children going door-to-door must be accompanied by an adult.
The Prince George Social Services Advisory Board will meet at 9 a.m. Monday, October 2 at the Social Services Department.
VDOT Richmond District will host a forum on ‘Funding the Right Transportation Projects’ at 10 a.m. Monday, October 2 at the Hilton Garden Inn in Colonial Heights.
The Prince George County Community Police Academy will meet this month on October 3, 6, 10, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27 & 31 at 2 p.m. each day at the Samuel Bland Building.
A groundbreaking ceremony for a new Southside Regional Medical Center will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday, October 4 in Colonial Heights.
The Capital Area Partnership Uplifting People (CapUp) will host two community meetings to discuss future projects in Prince George County. Those meetings are: Wednesday, October 4 from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Community Room of the Human Services Building; and Tuesday, October 10 from 5:30 – 7 p.m. at the Prince George Library.
The Riverside Community Criminal Justice Board (CCJB) will hold its Annual Organization meeting at 3 p.m. Wednesday, October 4 at the Hopewell Library.
The Prince George Business Roundtable Alumni Dinner will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday, October 4 at the Petersburg Country Club.
The Capital Improvements Plan (CIP) Committee will meet this month on October 4, 11 & 25 at 6 p.m. in the Second Floor Employee Break Room in the Administration Building.
A ‘Women’s Empowerment Seminar’ will be held from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Thursday, October 5 at First Baptist Church in Disputanta.
The Prince George Crime Solvers will hold its ‘Annual Rib Fest’ from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, October 5 at Scott Park.
The Prince George Animal Services & Adoption Center will host a ‘Pet Adoption Event’ October 6 from 1-4 p.m. and October 7 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Colonial Subaru in South Chesterfield. Adoption fees will be waived.
The Prince George Farmers Market will be held October 7, 14, 21 & 28 from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at Scott Park.
‘Warrior Boot Camp’ will be held October 7 & 21 at 8:30 a.m. at Scott Park.
The Friends of Burrowsville School will host a ‘Fall Plant Sale’ from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Saturday, October 7 at the Burrowsville Community Center.
Crater District Boy Scout Day will be held from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Gregory Memorial Church.
The Prince George School Board will hold its next meeting at 6:30 p.m. Monday, October 9 in the Board Room in the Administration Building.
Coal the Police Therapy Dog will visit residents at the Brighter Living Assisted Living facility at 1 p.m. Wednesday, October 11.
The Prince George Police Department will host an ‘Open House’ from 5-7:30 p.m. Thursday, October 12 at the Samuel Bland Building.
Prince George Electric will host a Community Meeting at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, October 12 at Newville United Methodist Church to discuss particulars about the expansion of broadband.
The Prince George County Citizens Academy will be held Thursday, October 12 at the Emergency Operation Center and Police Department; and Thursday, October 26 in the Second Floor Employee Break Room in the Administration Building. Classes begin each night at 6:00.
‘Zumba to Fight Breast Cancer’ will be held from 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. Saturday, October 14 at the Parks & Recreation Community Center on Old Stage Road.
The Carson Volunteer Fire Department will host a ‘Pork Butt & BBQ Dinner Sale’ from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday, October 14 at the department on Halifax Road.
Oakland Baptist Church will host its annual ‘Harvest Fest’ from 2:30 – 6 p.m. Saturday, October 14 outside in the church parking lot.
A ‘Candidates Forum’ for Prince George County will be held from 3-5 p.m. Sunday, October 15 at the Prince George Heritage Center.
The last day to register for the November 7 General Election is 5 p.m. Monday, October 16.
The Prince George County Industrial Development Authority will hold its next meeting at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, October 18 in the Community Room at the Human Services Building.
The James House will continue its ‘Let’s Talk About It’ movie and discussion series at the JH offices at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, October 18.
The ‘Alzheimer’s & Dementia’ education series will continue at 6 p.m. Wednesday, October 18 at Sunflower Gardens.
The Great Southeast Shake-Out Earthquake Drill will be held at 10:19 a.m. Thursday, October 19 in all County offices.
The Appomattox River Water & South Central Wastewater authorities will have a worksession at 1 p.m. Thursday, October 19 at the Lake Chesdin offices.
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, October 19 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The Prince George Animal Services & Adoption Center will hold an Open House & Pet Contest from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, October 21 at the Animal Services & Adoption Center.
The Prince George Ruritan Club will hold its ‘35th Annual Shrimp & Oyster Fest’ from 3-6 p.m. Saturday, October 21 at Scott Park.
The Parks & Recreation Department will host its ‘Annual Harvest Festival’ from 5-8 p.m. Saturday, October 21 at Temple Park.
A ‘Candidates Forum’ will be held from 3-6 p.m. Sunday, October 22 at the Disputanta Community Center.
Country Aire Mobile Home Park will host a Halloween Event from 5-7 p.m. Sunday, October 22 at Woodduck Street.
Prince George TRIAD will hold its next meeting at 1 p.m. Monday, October 23 at the Prince George Library.
The Hopewell-Prince George Chamber of Commerce will hold its 98th Annual Mixer from 5:30-7 p.m. Thursday, October 26 at The Barns of Kanak on Ruffin Road.
The Prince George Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, October 26 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
A Candidates Forum will be held from 7-8:30 p.m. Thursday, October 26 at the Burrowsville Community Center.
Swader’s Sports Park will celebrate ‘Shocktober’ from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. October 27-31 from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. each day.
Special Saturday hours for in-person absentee voting will be held from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday, October 28 in the office of the Registrar in the Administration Building.
Richard Bland College will host its ‘2nd Annual Pecan Festival’ from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. October 28-29. A pet adoption event will be part of the Festival by the Prince George Adoption Center from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. on October 28.
‘National Drug Take Back Day’ will be held in Prince George County from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, October 28 in the Police Department parking lot.
A ‘Church Safety Forum’ will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Sunday, October 29 at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church.
Unity Baptist Church will host ‘Harvest Fest’ from 5-9 p.m. Tuesday, October 31 on Mt. Sinai Road.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of October:
• The Board of Supervisors at its October 10 meeting will receive two reports: (1) VDOT; and (2) Presentation on Virus Scam Removal; and (3) New Public Safety Radio System.
• The Board of Supervisors at its October 10 meeting will consider appropriating funds for a new Burn Building.
• The Board of Supervisors at its October 10 meeting will discuss a claim reimbursement of a subdivision fee.
• The Board of Supervisors at its October 10 meeting will discuss changes to the Position Control Chart.
• The Board of Supervisors at its October 10 meeting will consider appropriation of funds from two SAFER grants.
• The Board of Supervisors at its October 10 meeting will discuss awarding a contract for grass cutting services.
• The Board of Supervisors at its October 24 meeting will receive three reports: (1) Broadband expansion by Prince George Enterprises; (2) Appomattox Regional Park Canoe Launch; and (3) Quarterly Financial Report.
• Various Parks & Recreation fall activities are underway and registration is being accepted for winter programs. Registration can be accepted at www. http://www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
• The search will continue this month to fill two key positions within County Government: Director of Utilities; and Building Official.
• The Public Computer Lab at the Central Wellness Center will open Monday, October 2. The Lab will be open from 5-8 p.m. Monday through Thursdays, and 5-7 p.m. on Fridays.
• New single-family dwellings are under construction at Eagle Preserve, Brickhouse Landing and the Meadows.
• Bid documents will be extended this month to ultimately choose a contractor to construct a new courtroom in the basement of the Courthouse.
• Construction projects to advance this month include: Extension of water lines for Pine Ridge Mobile Home Park; Luca Restaurant; Star Express; and Love’s Travel Center.
• Prince George Police Department is warning residents about leaving their vehicles unlocked. A rash of break-ins have Police investigating and looking for suspects.
• The merger of the Bank of McKenney and Citizens Community Bank will establish Touchstone Bank, with the headquarters in Prince George County at the former LMI Building at the Crossings.
Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.