This message is a monthly update in 2017 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its only meeting this month at 7 p.m. Tuesday, August 8 in the Board Room of the County Administration Building. A worksession will precede the meeting at 6 p.m. The tentative agenda topics are: (1) Presentation by Prince George School Board on discussions from the Core Committee on Education Facilities; and (2) Presentation by Friends of the Lower Appomattox River (FOLAR) on a Regional Walking Trail Master Plan.
Prince George County will celebrate ‘National Night Out’ from 5-9 p.m. Tuesday, August 1 at 32 locations around the County. Public safety representatives will be at each site sharing information on the importance of community involvement.
An Open House will be held from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, August 12 at the Central Wellness Center. Visitors can tour the building and register to join the Fitness Room. Prizes and giveaways will be part of the event.
The Annual ‘Back to School Fair’ will be held from 4-7 p.m. Wednesday, August 24 at Scott Park.
The filing deadline for real estate tax relief for the elderly and permanently & totally disabled is 5 p.m. Tuesday, August 1 in the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office.
The Virginia Sales Tax Holiday for school supplies, clothing, emergency preparedness items and energy-efficient products will be held August 4-6.
The Prince George Farmers Market will continue every Saturday this month at Scott Park from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at Scott Park. A ‘Warrior Boot Camp’ will be held adjacent to the Farmers Market on August 12 & 26 from 8:30 – 9:30 a.m.
The Southern Knights Cruiser Car Show will be held from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday, August 5 at Richard Bland College.
The Finance Committee of the Riverside Regional Jail Authority will meet at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, August 3 in the Jail’s administrative offices.
The Prince George Citizens Academy will have its next meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday, August 10 at Richard Bland College.
The Harbor Blast Concert Series will continue on August 5 & 19 at the Appomattox Boat Harbor. Gates open at 5 p.m.
The Prince George School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, August 14 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
A seminar entitled ‘Dementia 411 – Effective Communication Strategies’ will be held at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, August 10 at the Prince George Library.
Parks & Recreation will host a ‘free’ movie night beginning at 8:30 p.m. Friday, August 11 at Scott Park. The film is ‘Finding Dory.’
Swader’s Sports Park will host its 11th anniversary celebration from 1-6 p.m. Sunday, August 13.
An ‘Alzheimer’s & Dementia Education Series’ will continue at 6 p.m. Wednesday, August 16 at Sunflower Gardens.
The Appomattox River Water & South Central Wastewater authorities will meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, August 17 at the Lake Chesdin offices.
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, August 17 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The Prince George Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, August 24 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
An ASA ‘Cancer Awareness Tournament’ will be held August 26-27 at various Prince George County ball fields.
Prince George TRIAD will meet at 1 p.m. Monday, August 28 at the Prince George Library.
The Prince George Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, August 28 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The 10th Annual Richard Bland College Foundation Golf Tournament will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday, August 30 at the Petersburg Country Club.
Graduation ceremonies for the 2017 Prince George Youth Workforce Academy will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday, August 30 at Clements Junior High School.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of August:
• The Board of Supervisors at its August 8 meeting will receive two reports: (1) VDOT; and (2) Back to School Fair.
• The Board of Supervisors at its August 8 meeting will consider advertising for a public hearing on an ordinance amendment to exempt payment of a vehicle license fee for certain former County public safety volunteers.
• The Board of Supervisors at its August 8 meeting will consider adding a new Communications Officer position to the Police Department.
• The Board of Supervisors at its August 8 meeting will consider a Budget amendment to add a bonus for County employees.
• The Board of Supervisors at its August 8 meeting will consider appointments to the following citizen boards: Social Services Advisory Board and the Capital Improvements Planning Committee.
• The Board of Supervisors at its August 8 meeting will hold a public hearing that would amend the false alarm ordinance.
• Various Parks & Recreation summer activities are underway and registration is being accepted for fall programs. Registration can be accepted at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
• The search will continue this month to fill three key positions within County Government: Director of Utilities; Director of General Services; and Building Official.
• Construction projects to advance this month include: Extension of water lines for Pine Ridge Mobile Home Park; Luca Restaurant; Star Express; and Love’s Travel Center.
• Construction has begun on an expanded parking lot at the Parks & Recreation Community Center.
• Plans are underway to establish a Computer Lab at the Central Wellness Center that will be open to the public.
Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.