Message from the County Administrator
Happy New Year!
This message is the first monthly update in 2017 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government offices will be closed Monday, January 2 in observance of the New Year holiday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, January 3.
County Government offices will also be closed Friday, January 13 in observance of the Lee-Jackson holiday and Monday, January 16 in observance of Martin Luther King’s Birthday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, January 17.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its monthly meetings this month at 7 p.m. Tuesday, January 10 and Tuesday, January 24 in the Board Room of the County Administration Building. The Board of Supervisors as part of its January 10 meeting will elect officers, make Board appointments, adopt by-laws and set meeting and worksession schedules.
The Board of Supervisors will hold a pre-budget worksession at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 11 in the Board Room of the County Administration Building.
Senator Rosalyn Dance & Delegate Lashrecse Aird will hold a ‘Town Hall Meeting’ at 6 p.m. Tuesday, January 3 in the Prince George Library.
Business leaders from Prince George County involved in the Workforce Investment Board (WIB) will join BOS Chairman Bill Robertson & County Staff on a visit to the WIB in the Shenandoah Valley on January 4.
The Citizens Emergency Response Team (CERT) will hold training from 6-9 p.m. Thursday, January 5 at Oakland Baptist Church.
Fort Lee will host a ‘New Year’s Community Reception’ at 3 p.m. Sunday, January 8 at the Lee Club.
The Regional Heritage Center will continue its “Tradition of the Season – Toys of Yesteryear” display through Sunday, January 9.
The Prince George NAACP will hold its Jubilee Service at 7 p.m. Monday, January 9 at Morning Star Baptist Church.
A ‘Martin Luther King, Jr. Observance Service’ will be held from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Thursday, January 12 at the Lee Theater on Fort Lee.
The Prince George Emergency Crew will host its 46th Annual Installation Banquet at 6 p.m. Saturday, January 14 at the Petersburg Country Club.
Container First Services will continue to accept live Christmas trees at no charge at the Convenience Site on Union Branch Road through Tuesday, January 10.
The Community Criminal Justice Board will hold its next meeting at 3 p.m. Wednesday, January 11 in the Community Room of the Human Resources Building.
The Extension Leadership Council will meet at 12:00 Noon Monday, January 9 at the Prince George Library.
The Prince George School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, January 9 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
Prince George 4-H will host ‘Food Challenge Weekend’ from 6-8 p.m. January 13-15 at the Air Center in Wakefield.
The Prince George Industrial Development Authority will meet at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, January 18 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The Appomattox River Water Authority and South Central Wastewater Authorities will meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, January 19 at the Lake Chesdin offices.
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, January 19 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The Prince George Promise Board of Directors will hold its next meeting at 2 p.m. Friday, January 20 at the Prince George Library.
Prince George TRIAD will meet at 12:00 Noon Monday, January 23 at the Prince George Library.
The Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. Monday, January 23 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The Planning Commission will meet at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, January 26 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The Riverside Regional Jail Authority Finance Committee will meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, January 26 at the Jail’s Administrative offices.
The Crater Workforce Investment Board (CWIB) will meet Friday, January 27 from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. with location to be determined.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of January:
• The Board of Supervisors at its January 10 meeting will be recognizing the winners of the Christmas Decorations, Christmas Card, Christmas Parade & Facebook Likes.
• The Board of Supervisors at its January 10 meeting will receive three reports: (1) VDOT; (2) Hopewell-Prince George Chamber of Commerce; and (3) Property Maintenance.
• The Board of Supervisors at its January 10 meeting will consider an appointment to the Virginia Gateway Region Board of Directors.
• The Board of Supervisors at its January 10 meeting will discuss renewal of a Lease Agreement with Container First Services.
• The Board of Supervisors at its January 10 meeting will discuss the Staff’s Six-Month Work Plan.
• The Board of Supervisors at its January 24 meeting will receive three reports: (1) Quarterly Financial Report; (2) FOLAR; and (3) Public Safety Radio Project.
• The Board of Supervisors at its January 24 meeting will discuss awarding a contract for an architect to design the new Route 10 Fire Station.
• The Board of Supervisors at its January 24 meeting will consider adoption of four new financial policies to the Employee Handbook.
• The Board of Supervisors at its January 24 meeting will continue discussion on the Rivers Edge Lagoon Property.
• The Board of Supervisors at its January 24 meeting will consider awarding a contract for Routine & Emergency Utility Construction/Repair Services.
• Various Parks & Recreation winter activities are underway and registration is being accepted for various spring/summer programs. Registration can be accepted at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
• Site plans are now under review for construction of a new Love’s Travel Center at the corner of Route 460 and Route 156.
• Site plans are now under review for construction of a new restaurant across from the Heritage Center.
• Site plans are now under review for a new Circle D convenience store and restaurant located near the current location on Ruffin Road.
• Site plans are under review for a new Star Express Travel Center across from Nanny’s Restaurant.
• Construction of improvements at Exit 45 will continue this month.
• Work is underway for ‘minor demolition’ of the inside of the former Food Bank building.
• County Staff is working to execute an architectural agreement for a new courtroom in the basement of the Courthouse.
• County Staff and Perkinson Construction are working to correct violations identified by DEQ on the new Scott Park athletic area.
• The County is currently seeking residents and businesses to participate in either the 2016 Citizens Academy, or the 2016 Business Roundtable. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest.
Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.