This message is the final monthly update in 2016 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government offices will be closed Friday, December 23 and Monday, December 26 in observance of the Christmas holiday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, December 27.
The first half of 2017 real estate taxes are due in the Treasurer’s Office at 5 p.m. Monday, December 5.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its only monthly meeting this month at 7 p.m. Tuesday, December 13 in the Board Room of the County Administration Building. A worksession will precede the meeting at 6 p.m. The tentative agenda is: (1) Discussion of Rivers Edge Lagoon property; (2) Discussion of General Services projects; and (3) Discussion of modification of Taxi Cab ordinance.
The Board of Supervisors will also hold a worksession at 6 p.m. Monday, December 12 in the Utilities Conference Room.
The Prince George County Annual Christmas Parade will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday, December 3 around the Courthouse Complex.
The Prince George Police Department will hold its Annual ‘Wreath Laying Ceremony’ on Friday, December 2 at 9 a.m. at Merchant’s Hope Cemetery and 11 a.m. at Southlawn Memorial Park.
The Prince George Board of Supervisors & County Staff will meet with state legislators at 6 p.m. Tuesday, December 6 in the Prince George Library.
The Prince George Commonwealth Attorney’s Office will coordinate a ‘Tree Lighting Memorial Service & Remembrance Vigil’ at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, December 6 on the steps of the Court House.
‘Breakfast with Santa’ will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday, December 3 at the Parks & Recreation Community Center.
‘Breakfast with Santa’ will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday, December 3 at the Burrowsville Volunteer Fire Department.
A Chili-Cook & Fundraiser hosted by the Prince George Fire & EMS Department will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday, December 3 in the parking lot behind the Prince George Volunteer Fire Department.
The Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) will hold its monthly meeting at 4 p.m. Thursday, December 1 in the Emergency Operations Center.
The Friends of the Lower Appomattox River (FOLAR) will hold its ‘Fall Fling Legacy Benefit’ at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, December 1 at the Weston Manor in Hopewell.
The Crater Regional Workforce Development Board will hold a strategic planning session at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, December 6 at John Tyler Community College.
Crater Community Hospice will hold a reception in honor of retiring Chief Executive Officer Brenda Mitchell at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, December 7 at the Petersburg Country Club.
A Farmer’s Breakfast & Recertification class will be held at 8 a.m. Thursday, December 8 at Virginia State University.
The Riverside Regional Jail Finance Committee will meet at 12:00 Noon Thursday, December 8 at the Jail’s administrative offices. A regular meeting of the Authority will meet at 2 p.m. in the same location.
‘National Traffic Incident Management Responder Training’ will be held at 9 a.m. Friday, December 9 at the Crater Criminal Justice Training Academy.
VDOT will host a training session on road projects at 9 a.m. Friday, December 9 in the Emergency Operations Center.
Newville United Methodist Church will host a ‘Nick of Time’ Holiday Craft & Bazaar at 8 a.m. Saturday, December 10.
The Burrowsville Community Center will host a “DIY Home & Body Essential Oils’ at 2 p.m. Saturday, December 10.
The Prince George Social Services Advisory Board will meet at the Social Services Department offices at 9 a.m. Monday, December 12.
The Prince George County School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, December 12 in the Board Room of the Administrative Offices.
The Prince George Planning Commission will meet at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, December 15 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
‘Jackie Bradley, Jr. Day’ will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, December 17 at Swader’s Sports Park. Tickets are $35.00.
Prince George TRIAD will host its Annual Christmas Gathering at 12:00 Noon Monday, December 19 at the Parks & Recreation Community Center.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of December:
- The Board of Supervisors at its December 13 meeting will consider an increase in appropriation of Title 1 funds in the amount of $130,610.
- The Board of Supervisors at its December 13 will consider a Memorandum of Understanding between the Fort Lee Family Advocacy Program and the Prince George Department of Social Services.
- The Board of Supervisors at its December 13 meeting will adopt the 2017 Holiday Schedule for County employees.
- The Board of Supervisors at its December 13 meeting will consider two reports: (1) VDOT monthly report; and (2) Fire & EMS Museum.
- The Board of Supervisors at its December 13 meeting will consider two grant requests that require matching funds from Fire & EMS Department & Riverside Criminal Justice Agency.
- The Board of Supervisors at its December 13 meeting will discuss the date of an FY ’17 Budget Worksession in January.
- The Board of Supervisors at its December 13 meeting will consider appointments to the Board of Equalization of Assessment, Planning Commission and the South Centre Corridors Resource Conservation and Development Council.
- The Board of Supervisors at its December 13 meeting will hold a public hearing on a Utilities ordinance amendment.
- Parks & Recreation registration is being accepted for various winter programs at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
- County Staff will continue to work with Perkinson Construction this month to correct a Notice of Violation received by Perkinson related to the expansion of Scott Park.
- Construction on Phase II of improvements at Exit 45 is continuing through a partnership with the Cameron Foundation.
- Purchase while supplies last the 2016 Prince George County Christmas Ornament, featuring the new Carson Volunteer Fire Department. Cost is $10.
Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.