Message from the County Administrator
This message is a monthly update in 2016 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government offices will be closed Friday, November 11 in observance of the Veterans Day holiday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Monday, November 14. County Government offices will also be closed Thursday, November 24 and Friday, November 25 in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday. Offices will reopen on Monday, November 28.
The General Election will be held from 6 a.m. – 7 p.m. Tuesday, November 8. Complete election information can be found at http://www.princegeorgeva.org/news_detail_T6_R307.php. Special hours for absentee voting will be held from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday, November 5 in the office of the Voter Registrar.
The Prince George County Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday, November 30 on the Old Courthouse Lawn.
The Prince George Senior Citizens Academy will hold its sessions at 2 p.m. November 1, 4 & 15 in the Police Department offices. Graduation ceremonies will be held in the Board Room of the Administration Building at 2 p.m. November 18.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its monthly meetings this month at 7 p.m. Wednesday, November 9 and November 22 in the Board Room of the County Administration Building.
The Prince George Master Gardners will present programs from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday, November 1, 15 & 29 in the Prince George Library.
‘Conversations about Alzheimer’s & Dementia’ will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, November 1 and Thursday, November 10 in the Prince George Library.
The Fort Lee Civilian Military Council will meet at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, November 2 at the Brandermill Country Club in Chesterfield County.
‘The Story of Joseph Pelter’ will be narrated at 7 p.m. Wednesday, November 2 at the Burrowsville Community Center.
A ribbon cutting at Cedar Springs Fitness (formerly Curves) will be held at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, November 3.
Dominion Virginia Power will hold a Community Open House from 5-7 p.m. Thursday, November 3 at Prince George High School to brief the public on the Wilcox Wharf to Windmill Point Rebuild Project.
A ribbon cutting at the Quick Lane Tire & Auto Center (next to Crossroads Ford) will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, November 4.
Prince George Rotary will hold a Reverse Raffle beginning at 6:30 p.m. Friday, November 4 at the Disputanta Community Center.
The last travel baseball tournament of the season will be held November 5-6 at various fields throughout Prince George County.
The Burrowsville Ruritan Club will sponsor its ‘Annual Apple Fest’ on November 5 from 9 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at the Burrowsville Ruritan Club.
‘A Night at the Quartermaster Museum’ will be held from 5-9 p.m. Saturday, November 5 at Fort Lee.
The James House will sponsor ‘Casino Night’ from 6-11 p.m. Saturday, November 5 at the Old Towne Civic Center in Petersburg.
The Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee will meet at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, November 9 at the Parks & Recreation Community Center.
The Prince George Citizens Academy will hold its Graduation Ceremony beginning at 6 p.m. Thursday, November 10 at the Heritage Center.
American Legion Post 120 will hold its Community Yard & Vendor Sale will be on November 12 from 8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. at its location at 5115 County Drive in Disputanta.
The Prince George Library will host ‘Saturday Story Time’ at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, November 12.
The Prince George School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, November 14 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The Rowanty Technical Center will host an ‘Open House’ from 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, November 16.
A meeting of owners & representatives of mobile home parks will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, November 17 in the Prince George Library.
The Appomattox River & South Central Wastewater authorities will meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, November 17 at the Petersburg
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, November 17 in the Emergency Operations Center.
The Prince George Planning Commission will meet at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, November 17 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
Prince George Promise will hold its next meeting of the Board of Directors at 2 p.m. Friday, November 18 at the Prince George Library.
Prince George TRIAD will meet at 1 p.m. Monday, November 28 in the Prince George Library.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of November:
• The Board of Supervisors at its November 9 meeting will receive a monthly update from VDOT & an update on the National Association of Counties (NACO) Prescription Drug Program.
• The Board of Supervisors at its November 9 meeting will hold a public hearing to add a license tax for direct sales and eliminate a fee for massage parlors.
• The Board of Supervisors at its November 9 meeting will continue discussions on a Conditional Rezoning application and Zoning Case amendment relative to the expansion of Jefferson Pointe Apartments.
• The Board of Supervisors at its November 9 meeting will consider authority to advertise a public hearing regarding rules for credit for water leaks.
• The Board of Supervisors at its November 9 meeting will consider a resolution on Firearms Lease with the Virginia Department of Health.
• The Board of Supervisors at its November 9 meeting will consider a revision to the County Personnel Policy giving County employees Wednesday, November 23 off after 12:30 p.m.
• The Board of Supervisors at its November 22 meeting will receive a report from Registrar Katherine Tyler on the November 8 General Election.
• The Board of Supervisors at its November 22 meeting will discuss the 2017 Legislative Program.
• The Board of Supervisors at its November 22 meeting will consider two public hearings: (1) Rezoning request of Ophelia S. Fludd at properties located at 13000 South Crater Road; and (2) Amendment to Veteran’s Tax Ordinance.
• Various Parks & Recreation fall activities are winding down and registration is being accepted for various winter programs. Registration can be accepted at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
• Proposals to hire an architect for the Route 10 Fire Station will be reviewed this month.
• Proposals to hire an architect to design a new court room and office space in the basement of the County Courthouse will be reviewed this month.
• Preliminary work has begun in the design of a new Public Safety Radio System.
• Construction on Phase II of improvements at Exit 45 is underway through a partnership with the Cameron Foundation.
Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.