This message is a monthly update in 2016 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government offices will be closed Monday, October 10 in observance of the Columbus Day holiday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, October 11.
County employees will participate in the Great Southeast Shake-Out Earthquake Drill at 10:20 a.m. Thursday, October 20.
The last day to register to vote for the November 8 General Election is Saturday, October 17 at 5 p.m. in the Office of the Voter Registrar.
The Board of Supervisors will hold a retreat at 5 p.m. Tuesday, October 4 at Bud’s Inn.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its monthly meetings this month at 7 p.m. Tuesday, October 11 and October 25 in the Board Room of the County Administration Building. A worksession will precede the October 11 meeting at 6 p.m. The tentative agenda is: (1) Discussion of RFP for Community-Wide Recycling; (2) Proposed ordinance for the Commissioner of the Revenue; and (3) Discussion of Broadband.
The Prince George Industrial Development Authority will meet at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, October 19 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The Extension Leadership Council will meet at 12:00 Noon Tuesday, October 11 in the Prince George Library.
The Prince George Police Department will hold an Open House from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, October 12 at the Bland Building.
The Prince George Police Department will host a Church Safety Forum from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday, October 29 at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church.
The Animal Services & Adoption Center will hold an ‘Open House’ from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, October 22 at its location on County Drive.
The Prince George Citizens Academy will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, October 13 at the Prince George Library & Thursday, October 27 in the Employee Break Room in the Administration Building.
The Crater Youth Care Commission will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, October 21 at the Commission offices.
The Criminal Justice Board of Directors will hold a retreat at 3 p.m. Friday, October 14 at Smithfield Station.
The Virginia Czech & Slovak Folklife Festival will be held from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday, October 15 at the County Courthouse Complex.
Trick or Treat activities will be held throughout Prince George County on Monday, October 31 from 5-9 p.m. Young children should have a guardian with them at all times.
The Prince George Farmers Market will be open this month on October 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29 from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at Scott Park.
The Friends of Burrowsville School will hold a Fall Plant Sale from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Saturday, October 1 at the Burrowsville Community Center.
The Southern Knights Cruiser Car Show will be held from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday, October 1 at Richard Bland College.
The ‘Harbor Blast’ Concert Series will continue October 1 & 8 at the Appomattox Boat Harbor. Gates open at 5 p.m. for each concert.
The Prince George Social Services Advisory Board will meet at 9 a.m. Monday, October 3 at the Social Services offices.
The Prince George Senior Citizens Academy will hold its sessions at 2 p.m. October 4, 7, 11, 17 & 18 in the Police Department offices.
The Master Gardner Program will offer garden programs from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday, October 4 &18 at the Prince George Library.
Prince George Promise will hold a Reverse Raffle at 6 p.m. Thursday, October 20 at the Forehand Barn.
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, October 20 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
National Drug Take Back Day will be held from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, October 22 in the Police Department Parking Lot.
The Prince George County ‘Annual Harvest Festival’ will be held from 5-8 p.m. Saturday, October 22 at Temple Park.
Country Aire Mobile Home Park will hold a Halloween Event from 5-7 p.m. Saturday, October 22 on Woodduck Street.
Prince George TRIAD will meet at 1 p.m. Monday, October 24 in the Prince George Library.
The Prince George Planning Commission will meet at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, October 27 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The Pecan Festival will be held at Richard Bland College from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday, October 29. An Animal Adoption Event will be held in conjunction with the Pecan Festival.
Unity Baptist Church will hold its ‘Harvest Fest’ from 5-9 p.m. Monday, October 31.
The Hopewell-Prince George Chamber of Commerce will hold its Annual Mixer from 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, October 5 at the Richard Bland Barn Theater.
The Hopewell-Prince George Crime Solvers will hold its Annual Rib Fest from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, October 6 at Scott Park.
The Prince George Animal Services & Adoption Center will host a Rabies Clinic from 9-11 a.m. Saturday, October 15 at the Burrowsville Community Center.
The John Randolph Foundation will hold its Annual Appreciation Celebration from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, October 6 at Weston Manor in Hopewell.
Travel baseball tournaments will be held in Prince George County October 1-2; 8-9; 15-16; and 22-23 at various field locations.
The Crater District Recruitment Jamboree for Cub Scouts & Boy Scouts will held from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, October 8 at Gregory Memorial Church.
The Fort Lee Credit Union will host ‘Community Shred Day & Canned Food Drive’ Saturday, October 8 from 9 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at its location at the Crossings.
Oakland Baptist Church will host its ‘Harvest Fest’ from 2:30 – 5:30 p.m. Saturday, October 8 in the church parking lot.
The Prince George School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, October 10 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
The VDOT Richmond District Fall Transportation Meeting will be held at 4 p.m. Tuesday, October 11 in the Richmond Office Auditorium.
The Josh Culler/David Zusking Memorial Turkey Shoot will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, October 14 at the Rives Ruritan Club.
The Carson Volunteer Fire Department Fall Classic will be held at 12:00 Noon Saturday, October 15 at Dogwood Trace Golf Course.
The Prince George Ruritan Club will host its 35th Annual Shrimp & Oyster Fest from 3-6 p.m. Saturday, October15 at Scott Park.
The Crater Workforce Investment Board will meet at 11:30 a.m. Friday, October 7 at the Holiday Inn, 401 E. Roslyn Road, Colonial Heights, VA.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of October:
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 11 meeting will receive a monthly update from VDOT.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 11 meeting will receive a VACO Achievement Award from a representative from the Virginia Association of Counties.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 25 meeting will hold four public hearings: (1) Special Exception request of Splat Brothers Paintball at 13712 Moody Road; (2) Conditional Rezoning request of Love’s Travel Stops and Country Stores at the northeast quadrant of US 460 & Route 156; (3) Conditional Rezoning request for Jefferson Point Apartments; and (4) Zoning Case Amendment for Jefferson Point Apartments.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 11 meeting will consider appointments to the Crater District Area Agency on the Agency and Industrial Development Authority.
- Various Parks & Recreation summer activities are underway and registration is being accepted for various fall/winter programs. Registration can be accepted at www. http://www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
- Advertising for an architect to design the new Route 10 fire station is now underway.
- Advertising for an architect to design a new court room and office space in the basement of the County Courthouse is now underway.
- Renovations of the Old Library at the Central Wellness Center are underway in preparation for a new fitness center. Estimated opening date is early 2017.
- An architect is working with the Heritage Museum officials to design a Fire & EMS Museum concept at the former Food Bank Building.
- Preliminary work has begun in the design of a new Public Safety Radio System.
- Prince George County Government will continue this month to offer assistance to the City of Petersburg regarding the maintenance of its Public Safety vehicles.
- Construction on Phase II of improvements at Exit 45 is underway through a partnership with the Cameron Foundation.
Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.