Commonwealth of Virginia
Office of Governor Terry McAuliffe
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 21, 2016
Office of the Governor
Contact: Brian Coy
Governor McAuliffe Announces Sales Tax Holiday for Back-to-School Supplies
~ Sales tax holiday set for August 5th-7th ~
RICHMOND – Governor Terry McAuliffe announced today that Virginia will offer a sales tax holiday from August 5th-7th so that shoppers can purchase qualifying school supplies, clothing and footwear, emergency preparedness items, and certain energy-efficient products without paying state and local sales tax. This two day tax break is aimed to financially assist families for back-to-school shopping and encourage Virginians to take necessary precautions during hurricane season.
“This sales tax holiday will make items that help families prepare for the school year or for a potential emergency more affordable,” said Governor McAuliffe. “It is my hope that shoppers will use this time to get their children the items they need to succeed in school, as well as stock up on the essentials that may come in handy during a hurricane or other emergency where electricity or clean water may be unavailable for an extended period of time. This tax-free weekend is integrally important in ensuring all students and families have the tools and resources they need to be able to thrive and prosper here in Virginia.”
Tax exempt items include:
- Most school and office supplies, such as pens, loose-leaf paper, scissors, binders, backpacks, and construction paper, priced at $20 or less.
- Clothing and footwear, priced at $100 or less per item or pair.
- Batteries, flashlights, bottled water, tarps, duct tape, fire extinguishers, cell-phone chargers, smoke detectors, buckets, rope, and first aid kits, priced at $60 or less.
- Gas-powered chainsaws, priced at $350 or less, and chainsaw accessories, priced at $60 or less.
- Portable generators, priced at $1,000 or less.
- Energy Star-labeled dishwashers, washing machines, air conditioners, ceiling fans, light bulbs, dehumidifiers, and refrigerators, priced at $2,500 or less.
- WaterSense-labeled sink faucets, faucet accessories, aerators, shower heads, toilets, urinals, and landscape irrigation controllers, priced at $2,500 or less.
All retailers who sell the exempt products are required to participate in the sales tax holiday. In addition, retailers may choose to pay the sales tax on any taxable items and pass the savings on to customers.
Online purchases of qualifying products are exempt from the sales tax as long as orders are placed and paid for during the August 5-7 exemption period and the sellers have the items available for immediate shipment.
For more details, visit the Virginia Department of Taxation’s website at www.tax.virginia.gov/salestaxholiday.
To view the published release, please visit: http://bit.ly/29WtSfJ