BOS Approves Grant For
Resource Officer at North
The Board of Supervisors at its June 14 meeting approved a $50,000 matching grant to help place a new Resource Officer at North Elementary School.
Police Chief Keith Early made the recommendation after receiving notice the Department of Criminal Justice Services will provide funding for a new officer up to four years. The grant provides funding from DCJS for $37,731 and County Government in the amount of $12,269.
The Board of Supervisors unanimously supported the request.
Plans are for the new Resource Officer to be in place by September for the new school year.
Other matters to come before the BOS at its worksession and meeting:
- Voted 3-2, with Supervisors Carmichael & Hunter dissenting, to not accept a state grant to construct a ‘Burn Building’ for Fire & EMS training.
- Unanimously supported moving forward with architectural design of a new station on Route 10 that would be limited in scope.
- Unanimously authorized Staff to develop a Request for Proposals and bring back to the July 12 meeting regarding a franchise agreement for community recycling.
- Received the monthly report from VDOT.
- Received a report on upcoming Survivor Day on June 18 and agreed to the list of members for the Local Emergency Planning Committee.
- Held a public hearing on the VDOT Six-Year Transportation Plan and approved one project on Prince George Drive/Pole Run.
- Held a public hearing and unanimously approved changes to the combined Fire & EMS ordinance regarding the grievance policy for volunteers.
- Discussed a request by management of Pine Ridge Mobile Park for expansion and authorized Staff to advertise another public hearing for the July 12 BOS meeting.
- Deferred action on execution of a water agreement between Sun Pool, LLC and Prince George County until the July 12 BOS meeting.
- Discussed actions of the 2016 General Assembly.
- Unanimously approved the hiring of the Virginia Concrete Construction Company for $1,154,124 for infrastructure improvements at Exit 45.
- Unanimously approved authority for Staff to advertise a public hearing for July 12 on changes to the Utility Code.
- Unanimously approved the hiring of the Pierce Group as an Employee Benefits Consultant at the base price of $27,000 annually.
- Unanimously approved a resolution appropriating funds for the FY ’17 Budget.
- Unanimously reappointed Elaine Abernethy and Frank Pino to the Parks & Recreation Advisory Commission.
- Unanimously reappointed Shel Douglas to the District 19 Community Services Board.
- Unanimously approved a resolution increasing the VRS rate for non-teacher employees in the Public School Division.
- 30 –